BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- John 17:20-21 – “I pray not only for my apostles, but also for the people who believe in me through their teaching. 21May all of them be united, just as You, O Father, are in me, and I am in You. I pray that they will be in us, so that the people of the world may believe that You sent me.
- Matthew 22:37 – Jesus answered him, “ ‘You must love the Lord your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ (Deuteronomy 6:5)
- John 1:1 – In the beginning was the Word,a and the Word was with God, and the Word was deity.b
- John 16:7 – But I am telling you the truth: If I leave, it is really better for you. If I don’t leave, the Comforter won’t come to you. However, if I do go away, I will send him to you.
- John 14:16-18 – I will ask my Father and He will give to you another Comforter—the Spirit of truth. He will be with you forever. The people of the world cannot accept him, because they don’t see him or know him, but you know him because he stays with you—and he will be in you. 18I will not abandon you, as though you were orphans. I am coming to you.
- John 17:17 – Your message is the truth. May the truth make them holy!
- Acts 1:12-15 – Then the apostles went back to Jerusalem from Olive Mountain. (This mountain is about three-quarters of a milec from Jerusalem.) 13The apostles entered the city. They went to the place where they were staying; this was in an upstairs room. The apostles were: Peter, John, James, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James (the son of Halphaeus), Simon (known as the Revolutionaryd), and Judas (the son of James).
- Matthew 6:9-13 [LORD’S PRAYER] – “This is the way you should pray: ‘Our Father in heaven, may Your Name always be kept holy. 10May Your kingdom come. May what You want done be done. May it always be here on earth as it is in heaven. 11Give us the food we need each day. 12Forgive us of the sins we have committed, as we also forgive everyone who has done wrong to us. 13Keep us away from temptation.Rescue us from the evil one.’
- I Timothy 2:5 – There is one God. There is one go-between between God and human beings—the man Christ Jesus.
- Luke 24:45-46 -Then Jesus explained the Scriptures. He helped them to understand the things which had been written about him. 46Then Jesus said to them, “Thus it is written that the Messiah would be killed and come back to life from death on the third day.
- Luke 3:23a – Jesus was about 30 years old when he began to teach. People thought that Jesus was Joseph’s son.
- John 3:16 – God loved the people of the world so much that He gave up His one and onlyb Son. Every person who commits himself to Jesus will not be destroyed. Instead, that person will have eternal life
- John 1:3 – Through him, everything was made. Without him, nothing which has happened would have happened.
- Luke 22:34 – But Jesus said, “Peter, I tell you, before the rooster crows in the morning, you will say that you don’t even know me three different times!”
- Acts 1:3-4 – After his death, he showed that he was alive. Jesus proved this by doing many convincing things. The apostles saw him several times during 40 days. Jesus was talking about the kingdom of God. 4Once, when he was together with them, he ordered them not to leave Jerusalem. He said, “Wait here for the Father’s promise that you heard me talk about.a
- Ephesians 1:23 – This community is Christ’s body. It is the totality of Christ; he completes everything everywhere.
- Luke 24:50 – Jesus led them out of Jerusalem, almost to the town of Bethany. He raised his hands and blessed them.
- Mark 16:15-16 – Jesus said to them, “When you have gone into the whole world, proclaim the Good News to all mankind. 16The person who believes it and is immersed will be saved, but the person who doesn’t believe it will be condemned.
- Romans 6:4 – So, through immersion, we were buried with him into death. Christ was raised from death through the glory of the Father. In the same way, we will live a new life.
- Mark 16:17-18 – These miracles will go with the believers: They will use my name to throw out demons. They will speak inspired languages which are new to them.18They could hold snakes. If they drink poison, it won’t hurt them. They will put their hands on sick people and the sick people will become well.”
- Acts 1:6-8 – The apostles were all together. They asked Jesus, “Lord, is this the time for you to rebuild the kingdom for Israel?” 7Jesus said to them, “The Father is the only One who has the authority to decide such dates and times. It is not for you to know these things. 8However, when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, you will receive power. You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all of Judea, in Samaria, and to the farthest parts of the world.”
- Revelation 1:13-15 – There was one like the Son of Manc among them. He was dressed with a very long robe. He wore a golden belt around his waist. 14His head and his hair were white, white like wool or like snow. His eyes were like the flame of a fire. 15His feet were like shining brass, when glowing in an oven. His voice was loud, like the rushing sound of much water.
- Luke 24:51 – While Jesus was blessing them, he was separated from them and carried up into heaven.
- Acts 1:9-11 – After Jesus said these things, he was lifted up into the sky. While the apostles were watching, Jesus went into a cloud; they couldn’t see him anymore. 10As Jesus was going away, the apostles were staring into the sky. Suddenly, two angelsb stood beside them. They were dressed in white clothes. 11The two angels said, “Men from Galilee, why are you standing here looking into the sky? This Jesus who was carried away from you into heaven will return in the same way that you saw him go.”
- Hebrews 12:2 – Jesus endured when he had to suffer shame and die on a cross. Why? Because of the happiness that lay ahead for him. He didn’t mind the way he had to die. Keep your eyes on Jesus. He is the beginning and the goal of the faith. Now he sits at the right hand of God’s throne.
- I Thessalonians 4:16-17 – The Lord himself will come down from heaven with a command, with the voice of the angel leader, and with the sound of God’s trumpet. The dead people in Christ will be the first to rise from death. 17Then we who are still alive on earth will be gathered up with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so, we will always be with the Lord.
- Hebrews 1:3 – The Son is the shining brightness of God’s glory and the exact picture of God’s real being. The Son holds up the universe by his powerful word. After he had provided a cleansing from sin, he sat down at God’sa right side in heaven.
- Luke 24:52 – They worshiped him. Then they went back to Jerusalem. They were very happy.
- Acts 1:4 – They were all together. They were constantly praying with the same purpose. Jesus’ brothers, some women, and Mary (the mother of Jesus) were also there.
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Psalm 41:9 [PREDICTED 1000 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – My most-trusted, best friend ate at my table. Now even he has turned against me.
- Zechariah 11:12-14 [PREDICTED 480 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – Then Ikk said to them, “If you want to pay me, then pay me.ll If not, then don’t.” So, they paid me 30 pieces of silver.mm 13The Always-Present One said to me, “Put them in the temple treasury.” (That is how little they thought I was worth.)nn So, I threw that moneyoo at the potter inside the temple of Yahweh. 14Then I broke My second stick named “Union” in pieces. This broke the bond of brotherhood between Judah and Israel.pp
- Zechariah 12:10 [PREDICTED 480 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – “And, I will pour outx a spirit of kindness and mercyy upon David’s household and the inhabitants in Jerusalem. They will look at Me,z the One they have stabbed to death.aa And, they will mournbb like someone weeping over the death of an only child. They will be as sad as someone who has lost a firstborn son.cc
- Zechariah 14:7 [PREDICTED 480 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – It will be a unique day. (The Always-Present One knows when it will happen.)s There will be no day or night.t At evening time, it will still be light.u
- Psalm 34:20 [PREDICTED 1000 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – He will protect their very bones; not one of them will be broken.j
- Isaiah 53:9 [PREDICTED 700 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – He was supposed to be buried like criminals,mm even though he had done nothing wrong.nn He had never even told a lie!oo Instead, his death was associated with a rich man.”pp
- Isaiah 26:19 [PREDICTED 700 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – Your people have died, but they will live again. Their bodies will rise from death.q O dead people in the ground,get up and be happy!r The dew that covers you is like the dew of a new day.s The ground will give birth to the dead people who are buried in it.
- Hosea 6:2-3 [PREDICTED 480 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – In a short while,a He will put new life in us. We won’t have to wait very long for Him to raise us up. Then we will live in His presence. 3Let us learn about the Always-Present One. Let us try hard to know who He is. He will come to us, as surely as the dawn comes.b He will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the soil.”
- Jonah 1:17 [PREDICTED 750 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – The Always-Present One had prepared a large fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the stomach of the fish for three days and three nights.
- Jonah 2:1-7 [PREDICTED 750YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – Then, from the stomach of the fish, Jonah prayed to Yahweh, his God. 2Jonah said: “I called out to the Always-Present One because I was in trouble, and He answered me. From the stomach of Sheola I cried out for help, and You heard my voice. 3You threw me into the deep, into the heart of the seas, and the currents swirled around me. All of Your waves and Your breakers swept over me. 4Then I thought: ‘I have been banished from Your sight, but I will look again toward Your holy temple.’ 5The waters surrounded me, to the very soul. The deep was all around me. The seaweed was wrapped around my head. 6I sank to the bottom of the mountains. The earth with its bars closed over me forever. Yet You have brought up my life from the pit, O Yahweh, my God! 7“When my life was slipping away from me, remembered the Always-Present One. And, my prayer came up to You, to Your holy temple.
- Zechariah 14:5 [PREDICTED 480 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – You people will run through this mountain valley to the other side.m You will run as you ran away from the big earthquake.n (That was when Uzziah was king of Judah.)o Then Yahweh, my God, will come. And, all the holy onesp will be with Him.q
- Psalm 16:10 [PREDICTED 1000 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – This is because You will not leave me in the grave.g You will not allow Your Holy Oneh to experiencei corruption.j
- Genesis 3:8 – That evening,h when the man and his wife heard the sound of God, the One Who Is Always Present, walking in the garden,i they tried to hide themselves among the trees of the garden, away from the presence of the Always-Present God
- Daniel 9:25-27 [PREDICTED 530 YEARS BEFORE JESUS]
- Click here for details of Daniel’s astounding prediction in 530 BC of the exact century and exact year the Messiah would begin preaching.
- Numbers 4:23 – Count the men from 30 to 50 years old. Everyone [priests & Levites] has a job to don in the Meeting Tent [temple].
- Genesis 22:18 [PREDICTED ABOUT 1700 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – All the nations of the earth will be blessed through your Offspring. All this will occur because you [Abraham] have obeyed My voice.’ ”n
- Psalm 89:3-4, 27-28 [PREDICTED 1000 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – You said: “I made a covenant with the man of My choice. I made a promise to My servant David.4I once told him this: ‘I will cause your family to continue forever.b Your kingdom will last from now on.’ ”…27I will appoint him my firstborn son. He will be the greatest king on earth.l 28My constant love will watch over him forever. My covenant with him will never end.m
- Isaiah 7:14 [PREDICTED 700 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – Nevertheless, the Lord Himself will give youy a sign: Look, the virginz will become pregnant. She will give birth to a son, and she will name him ‘Immanuel [“God With Us”.’aa
- Micah 5:2 [PREDICTED 735 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – But you, O Bethlehem-Ephrathah,e though you are the least important among the leading towns of Judah,fa Leader will come out of you, O Bethlehem!g He will become the Ruler over Israel for Me.h His comings forth have been from of oldi —from the days of eternity.”
- Jeremiah 31:1 [PREDICTED 585 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – Yahweh says: “At that time,a I will be the God of all the clans of Israel.b And, they will be My people.”c
- Hosea 11:1 [PREDICTED 750 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – “When Israel was a child, I loved him. And, I called My son out of Egypt.a
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
Season 5, Promise Keeper, “Fallen Star”
Season 6, Shadow of Death, “The Substitute”
Season 6, Shadow of Death, “Victorious Dying”
Season 5, Promise Keeper, “Citadel of Shadows”
Season 8, Star Song, “Walking Tall”