Click here for the dates these ancient writings were written
BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- John 11:1 – A man named Lazarus was very sick. He and his sisters, Mary and Martha, were from the village of Bethany.
- John 11:24- 27 – 24Martha said to Jesus, “I know that Lazarus will rise up from death, when all people are raised on the last Day.” 25Jesus answered her, “I am the Resurrection and the Life! The person who commits himself to me will live, even though he may die. 26Every person who lives and commits himself to me will never die! Do you believe this?” 27Martha said to him, “Yes, Lord. I still believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who comes into the world!”
- Mark 14:3 – 3Jesus was in the town of Bethany in Simon’s house. (Simon was a leper.) While Jesus was sitting at the table, a woman came and opened her alabasterc jar of some very expensive perfume. (It was made of pure nard.)d Then she poured it on his head.
- Luke 10:40 – Martha was getting stressed out, because she had so much preparation to do. She went in and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me all alone to do the serving!? So, tell her to help me!”
- “Distracted” is translated from the Greek original “katargeo” meaning to work against, to do useless things.
- Luke 10:38 – While Jesus and his followers were traveling, Jesus went into a village. A woman named Martha welcomed him
- Mark 10:41 – But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are getting worried and upset about too many things.
- The original Greek of “worried” means to be drawn in different directions at once. The word “upset” that he used in Greek means full of confusion.
- Luke 10:42 – Only one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice; and this will never be taken away from her.”
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE