BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- I Corinthians 15:47 – The first man, Adam, came from the dust of the earth. The second man,f Christ, came from heaven.
- John 20:26 – A week later, Jesus’ followers were inside again. Thomas was with them, too. The doors were locked, but Jesus came and stood in the middle of them and said, “Peace be to you!”
- Acts 12:12 – When Peter realized this, he went to Mary’s house. She was the mother of John. (John was also called Mark.) Many people were gathered there; they were all praying.
- Colossians 4:10 – Aristarchus, my cellmate, greets you. Mark, the cousin of Barnabas, greets you, too. (You have already received instructions about him. If he comes to you, welcome him.)
- John Mark later wrote one of the four biographies of Jesus, the one called “Mark.” He and his mother lived in Jerusalem and the church often met in their home. Barnabus was Mary’s sister and John Mark was their cousin. Barnabus and John Mark went on several preaching tours with the Apostle Paul. THE BIBLE, ACTS 12:12, COLOSSIANS 4:10 – He [Peter] went to the Mary’s house, the Mary who was John Mark’s mother. The house was packed with praying friends….Mark, cousin of Barnabas.
- Acts 1:15-26 [QUALIFICATIONS OF AN APOSTLE] – During those days there was a meeting. (There were about 120 people present.) Peter stood up among them and said, 16-17“Brothers and sisters, the Scriptures must come true which the Holy Spirit spoke ahead of time through the lips of David. He was talking about Judas Iscariot who was one of our group; he had a part in this work. The Spirit said that Judas would guide men to arrest Jesus. 18Judas was paid money for doing this. (However, Judas fell on his head, and his body broke open in the middle. All of his intestines poured out.) His dishonest money was used to buy a field. 19All of the people who lived in Jerusalem learned about this. That is why they named that field Akeldama. (In their language Akeldama means ‘Blood Land.’) 20In the book of Psalms, this is written about Judas: ‘People should not go near his property; No one should live there!’ (Psalms 69:25) and, ‘Let another man take his work of overseeing.’ (Psalms 109:8) 21-22So now, another man must join us and be a witness that Jesus arose from death. This man must be one of those men who was part of our group during the whole time that the Lord Jesus was among us. It is necessary that this man has been with us from the time when John started to immerse people, until the day when Jesus was carried away from us to heaven.” 23They found two men. One was Joseph Barsabbas. (He was also called Justus.) The other man was Matthias. 24-25The apostles prayed, “Lord, You know the hearts of all people. Show us which one of these two men You choose to be an apostle and to do this work. Judas turned away from it and went where he belongs.” 26Then the apostles gave the two men lotse to pick. God’s choice showed that Matthias was the one. So, he became an apostle like the other eleven apostles.
- Jesus’ half-brother, Jude, is the author of one of the last books of the Bible and named after him. Did Jesus ever see Mary alone? It is the author’s opinion that he did. But it is not in the Bible. There was a reason. The special relationship between mother and divine son will not be intruded upon.
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Psalm 116:8-13 – O One Who Is Always Present, You have rescued me from death.You have stopped my eyes from crying. You have kept me from being defeated. 9Therefore, I will live with Yahweh, in the land of the living. 10I believed, so I spoke:c “I am completely ruined!”d 11In my distress I thought: “All people are liars!” 12What can I give back to Yahweh for all the good things that He has given to me!?e 13I will give Him a drink-offering for saving me.f And, I will pray to Yahweh.
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
ALL EPISODES, ALL SEASONS