Click here for dates these ancient writings were written
BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Mark 16:1 – When the sabbath day had passed,a Mary (the one from Magdala), Mary (the mother of James), and Salome bought some sweet-smelling spices. They wanted to rub this on the body of Jesus.
- John 19:23 – After the soldiers had nailed Jesus to the cross, they took his clothes and divided them into four parts—one for each soldier, but the robe remained. This robe was seamless—completely made of one piece of woven cloth.
- Matthew 28:2-4 – Suddenly, there was a great earthquake. An angel of the Lord came down from heaven. He went to the large stone and rolled it away. Then the angel sat on top of it. 3His appearance was shining like lightning. His clothes were as white as snow. 4The men who were guarding the tomb trembled with fear; they acted as if they were dead men.
- John 20:1-2, 9-15 – It was very early on Sunday morning. It was still dark. Mary (the one from Magdala) came to the tomb. She saw the stone moved away from the tomb. 2Then she ran and came to Simon Peter and the other follower whom Jesus loved. She said to them, “They have taken away the Lord Jesus from the tomb! We don’t know where they put him!”…. 9(They did not yet know the Scripture which said that Jesus must rise from death.) 10The two followers went back home.11Mary was standing outside the tomb, crying. While she was crying, she bent down to look into the tomb. 12She saw two angels dressed in white clothes. They were seated where Jesus’ body had been lying—one at the head and one at the foot. 13They asked her, “Woman, why are you crying?” She answered them, “They took my Lord away! I don’t know where they put him!” 14After she said this, she turned around. She saw Jesus standing there, but she didn’t know that it was Jesus 15Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who are you looking for?” Thinking that Jesus was the gardener, she said to him, “Mister, if you carried him off, tell me where you put him and I will take him away.”
- Mark 16:9-10 – When Jesus came back to life early Sunday morning, he appeared first to Mary (the one from Magdala; Jesus had forced seven demons to leave her.). 10Jesus’ friends were crying; they were so sad. She went and told them. 11When they heard that Jesus was alive and that he had been seen by Mary, they didn’t believe it.
- John 20:16-27 – Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to Jesus in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (This word means “My Teacher!”) 17Jesus said to her, “Don’t cling to me; I have not yet gone up to the Father. Go to my brothers and tell them this: ‘I am going up to my Father and your Father, to my God and to your God.’ ” 18Mary (the one from Magdala) went and told the followers, “I have seen the Lord Jesus!” She told them that he had talked with her. 19It was late that same Sunday. The doors were locked where the followers were gathered. They were afraid of the Jewish leaders. Jesus came and stood in the middle of them. He said to them, “Peace be to you!” 20After Jesus said this, he showed them his hands and his side. When the followers saw the Lord Jesus, they were happy. 21Then Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you. I am sending you just as the Father has sent me.” 22After Jesus said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit! 23If you say some people are forgiven, then they are forgiven. But, if you say that the sins of some people are not forgiven, then they are not forgiven.” 24Thomas (the one called “The Twin”) was one of the twelve apostles. He was not with them when Jesus came. 25The other followers continued to tell Thomas, “We have seen the Lord Jesus!” Thomas said to them, “I will never believe it, unless I see the marks of the nails in his hands, unless I put my finger into the marks of the nails, unless I put my hand into his side!” 26A week later, Jesus’ followers were inside again. Thomas was with them, too. The doors were locked, but Jesus came and stood in the middle of them and said, “Peace be to you!” 27Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Look at my hands! Put your finger here. Bring your hand here and put it in my side. Stop doubting and start believing!”
- Mark 16:2-3 – It was now very early on Sunday morning.b The sun had not come up yet. They were going to the tomb, 3saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?”
- Luke 24:1 – Very early on Sundaya morning, the women came to the tomb. They brought the fragrant things they had prepared.
- Matthew 28:3-6 – His appearance was shining like lightning. His clothes were as white as snow. 4The men who were guarding the tomb trembled with fear; they acted as if they were dead men. 5The angel said to the women, “Don’t be afraid. I know you are looking for Jesus, who was nailed to the cross. 6He is not here! He was raised from death, just as he said. Come, look at the place where he lay.
- Luke 24:1-4 – Very early on Sundaya morning, the women came to the tomb. They brought the fragrant things they had prepared. 2But the women found that the rock was rolled away from the tomb. 3They went in, but they didn’t find the Lord Jesus’ body. 4While they were wondering about it, suddenly, two angelsb stood beside them in shining clothes.
- Mark 16:5 – They walked into the tomb. They saw an angelc sitting on the right side. He was wearing a long, white robe. They were stunned.
- Luke 24:5-8 – The women were frightened; they bowed their heads down to the ground. The two angels said to the women, “Why are you looking here for a living person!? This is a place for dead people! 6Jesus is not here. He has risen from death! Do you remember what he said to you while he was still in Galilee? 7Jesus said that hec must be handed over to evil men, be killed on a cross, and rise from death on the third day.”d 8Then the women remembered Jesus’ words.
- Mark 16:6-7 – But the angel said to them, “Don’t be alarmed! You are looking for Jesus from Nazareth, who was nailed to the cross. He is not here. He has risen from death! Look at the place where they laid him! 7Now, go tell his followers that he will go ahead of you to the land of Galilee. You will see him there, just as he told you. Tell Peter, too.”
- Matthew 28:7-10 – Go quickly and tell his followers: ‘Jesus has been raised from death! Listen, he will go ahead of you to the land of Galilee. You will see him there.’ Remember, I told you.” 8The The women left the tomb quickly. They were afraid, yet very happy. They ran to tell Jesus’ followers. 9Suddenly, Jesus met them. He said, “Greetings!” They went to him, held onto his feet, and worshiped him. 10Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Go, tell my brothers that they must leave for Galilee. They will see me there.”
- Mark 16:8-11 – The women left the tomb. They ran away. They were trembling. They were shocked. They didn’t say anything to anyone, because they were afraid. 9When Jesus came back to life early Sunday morning, he appeared first to Mary (the one from Magdala; Jesus had forced seven demons to leave her.). 10Jesus’ friends were crying; they were so sad. She went and told them. 11When they heard that Jesus was alive and that he had been seen by Mary,
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Isaiah 5:19-20 – They say: “Let us see God hurry.cc Let us see Him quickend His work. We want to see it!ee Let’s see the plan of the Holy One of Israel happen soon.Then we would know what it really is.” 20How horrible it will be for people who call evil things “good,” and good things “evil.”ff They think that darkness is light, and light is darkness. They think that sour is sweet, and sweet is sour.
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
Season 1, Dream Maker, “Power House”
Season 3, Folk Hero, “The Benefactresses”
Season 2, Hearts Afire, “The Traitor”
Season 2, Hearts Afire, “Empty-Net Syndrome”
Season 4, Flood Gates, “Thunder Road”
Season 5, Promise Keeper, Spirit King”