BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Matthew 1:24 – When Joseph woke up from sleeping, he did as the angel of the Lord had ordered him to do; he took Mary to be his wife.
- Luke 2:1-3 – About that time, Augustus Caesara sent out an order to everyone in the empire that everyone must register. 2This was the first registration.b It occurred while Quirinius was governor of Syria [and controlled Palestine]. 3Each person traveled to be registered in the town where he was born.
- Luke 1:6 – They were both truly righteous before God, doing everything which was right and everything the Lord God commanded. They were spiritually spotless.
- Luke 2:7 – She gave birth to her first son and wrapped him in cloths. There were no rooms left in the hotel. So, she laid the baby in a box where livestock are fed.
- Matthew 1:25 -He did not have sexual relations with herc until she gave birth to the little boy. Joseph named him Jesus.
- Matthew 2:1, 9-11 – Jesus was born in Bethlehem, a town in Judea, during the time of King Herod the Great. Look, some wise men from the east traveled to Jerusalem…After they had listened to the king, they left. Herod sent them to Bethlehem. Look, the star which they had seen in the east was leading them. When they saw the star, they were very, very happy. It finally stopped above the place where the child was. 11They went into the house and saw the little child with Mary, his mother. They bowed down to worship him.
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Isaiah 53:3, 7 [PREDICTED 700 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – He was hated and rejected by people.i He endured much pain and suffering.j People would not even look at him.k He was hated, and wel didn’t think that he was an important man…“He was beaten down and humiliated.dd But he didn’t even say a word.ee He was like a lambff being led away to be killed.gg He was quiet, as a female sheep is silent while her wool is being cut off.hh He never opened his mouth.
- Micah 5:2 [PREDICTED 700 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – But you, O Bethlehem-Ephrathah,e though you are the least important among the leading towns of Judah,fa Leader will come out of you, O Bethlehem!g He will become the Ruler over Israel for Me.h His comings forth have been from of oldi —from the days of eternity.”
ANTIQUITIES OF THE JEWS, Bk 8, 1:1 (Written about 100 A.D.) Now Cyrenius [Quirinius]…being sent by Caesar to be a judge of that nation [Syria]….came himself into Judea…but the Jews, although at the beginning they took the report of a taxation heinously, yet did they leave off any further opposition to it. [This took place when Jesus was 12, but verifies Quirinius’ power to tax.]