Click here for dates these ancient writings were written
BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- John 7:3-10 – Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Get away from here and go to Judea, so that your followers may see the miracles you are doing. 4If someone wants to be famous, he doesn’t hide the things he is doing. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world!” 5(Even Jesus’ brothers did not believe in him.) 6Then Jesus said to them, “It is not yet the right time for me. There is always a good time for you. 7The people of the world cannot hate you. They hate me because I tell the truth about them—their lives are evil! 8You should go on up to the feast in Jerusalem. I am not going up to this feast just yet. The time is not yet ripe for me.” 9After he said these things, Jesus stayed in the land of Galilee.10After Jesus’ brothers went up to Jerusalem for the feast, Jesus also went up there, but Jesus did it secretly.
- Matthew 16:16-19 – Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God!” 17-18“Upon this rock foundation,”c Jesus answered him, “I will gather my family—those called out by God’s Word. Deathd will not overpower them. Blessed are you, Simon, son of John. My Father in heaven, not man, showed that to you. You are Peter.e 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will have already been bound in heaven. And, whatever you loosen on earth will have already been loosened in heaven.”
- Matthew 18:1, 18 – When Jesus came down from the mountain, large crowds followed him…18When Jesus saw that there was a crowd around him, he ordered, “Let us go across the lake
- Revelation 21:2,4 – And, I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. It was like a bride prepared for her husband-to-be; she was beautiful. 3And, I heard a loud voice coming from the throne. It said: “Look! God’s sanctuarya is among human beings. God will live with them. They will be His people. God Himself will be with them and He will be their God…. 4And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes. None of these things will exist anymore: death; sorrow; crying; pain. (Previous things have passed away.)”
- John 4:14 – …but if anyone drinks the water which I will give him, he will never be thirsty again. The water which I give him will become a spring inside him, welling up to eternal life.”
- John 1:4 – He was the Source of life. That life was the Light for all people
- Matthew 20:18-19 – “Listen! We are going up to Jerusalem. Someone will betray me to the most important priests and the teachers of the law. They will condemn me to death. 19Then they will give me to non-Jewish men who will laugh at me, beat me with whips, and nail me to a cross. However, I will rise from death on the third day!”
- Matthew 26:58 – Peter was following Jesus, but he did not come near Jesus. He came as far as the high priest’s courtyard. Later, he went inside. He was sitting with the guards. He wanted to see what would happen.
- Hebrews 9:14 – But, how much more will the blood of Christ make our consciences clean from dead human efforts, so that we can worship the living God! Through the everlasting Spirit, Christ offered himself to God as a perfect sacrifice.
- Romans 6:23 – The pay you get for sinning is death, but God’s gift is eternal life in Christ Jesus, our Lord.
- John 1:29 – The next day, John saw Jesus coming toward him. John said, “Look, God’s Lamb who will take away the world’s sin!
- Hebrews 10:1-4 – The law was only a copya of good things in the future. (The copy was not the real thing.) The same sacrifices, offered year after year, could never make worshipers perfect. 2Otherwise, they would have stopped making sacrifices, because the worshipers would have been made clean once for all time. They would not feel guilty. 3Instead, every year, when the sacrifices were made, the people remembered their sins. 4Goat’s blood or bull’s blood could never take away sin.
- John 7:11-12 – The Jewish leaders were looking for him at the festival. They continued to ask, “Where is Jesus?” 12Many people in the crowd were arguing about Jesus. Some were saying, “He is a good man.” Others were saying, “No, he fools the people!”
- John 7:1-2, 10, 13-14 – After this, Jesus was traveling around in the land of Galilee. He didn’t want to go to the land of Judea, because the Jewish leaders were trying to kill him. 2The time for the Jewish Festival of Tentsa was near…10After Jesus’ brothers went up to Jerusalem for the feast, Jesus also went up there, but Jesus did it secretly…13But no one was talking about Jesus openly because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders. 14The festival was already half over when Jesus came up to Jerusalem to the temple. Jesus began to teach the people.
- John 7:22-24 – Yet you will circumciseb a child on the sabbath day. Moses gave you circumcision! Actually, circumcision did not come from Moses, but from our ancestors. 23Since a child can receive circumcision on the sabbath day, so that the law of Moses won’t be broken, why are you so angry with me? I made a man completely well on the sabbath day. 24Don’t judge by the way things look! Judge fairly.”
- Matthew 24:44 – This is why you must be ready. I will come at a time when you are not expecting me.”
- John 7:15 – The Jewish leaders were amazed. They asked, “How did this man learn so much? He never went to our school!”
- John 7:37-47 – On the last and most important day of the festival, Jesus stood and cried out, “If you are thirsty, come to me and drink! 38The person who believes in me will be like the Scripture which says: ‘A river of freshc water will flow from his body.’ ” (Proverbs 18:4; Isaiah 58:11) 39(Here Jesus was talking about the Spirit whom the believers were about to receive. The Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus had not yet been raised to glory.) 40Some of the people in the crowd heard these words. They said, “Surely he is the Prophet!” 41Other people said, “This man is the Messiah!” Still others said, “The Messiah does not come from the land of Galilee! 42The Scripture said that the coming Messiah would be from David’s family and from Bethlehem, the village where David lived.” 43So, the people in the crowd were divided because of Jesus. 44Some of them were wanting to arrest him, but no one laid a hand on him. 45Later, the guards came back to the most important priests and Pharisees. They asked the guards, “Why didn’t you bring back Jesus?” 46The guards answered, “No man ever spoke like this!” 47The Pharisees answered them, “You haven’t been fooled, have you?
- John 8:1-11- Jesus went to Olive Mountain. 2Early the next morning, Jesus went back to the temple courtyard. All the people were coming to him. He sat down and began teaching them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought a woman to Jesus. They had caught her committing adultery. They made her stand in the center. 4They said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery! 5In the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women to death. What do you say about her?” 6(They were saying this to test Jesus. They wanted to get something which they could use to accuse him.) Jesus bent down and wrote something on the ground with his finger. 7They continued to ask Jesus questions. Jesus stood up and said to them, “The one among you who has not sinned should throw the first stone at her!” 8Jesus bent down again and continued writing on the ground. 9When they heard this, they began to leave one by one, from the oldest on down. Jesus was the only one left. The woman was still standing there, too. 10Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Is anyone condemning you?” 11She answered, “No one, Lord.” Jesus said, “I am not condemning you, either. Go, and from now on, don’t sin anymore!”
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Psalm 51:1-4 – To the director of music. A psalm of David. It was written when the prophet Nathan came to David after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba. O God, be merciful to me, because You are a loving God. Because You are always ready to be merciful, wipe out all of my rebellions.a 2Wash me thoroughly of my guilt, and cleanse me from my sin. 3I admitb my rebellions; my sin is continually right there in front of me.c 4I have sinnedd against You, and You alone.e I have done wrong in Your sight. So, You are proved right when You sentence me. You are fair when You judge me.
- Leviticus 23:27-32 – “The Day of Cleansingm will only be on the tenth day of the seventh month.n There will be a holy meeting. And you must give up eating.o And you must bring an offering made by fire to the Always-Present One. 28Do not do any work on that day. This is because it is the Day of Cleansing, canceling your sinsp in the presence of Yahweh, your God. 29“If anyone refuses to give up food on that day, then he must be separated from his people. 30If anyone does work on that day, then I will destroy him from among his people. 31You must not do any work! This law will continue for people from now on, wherever you live. 32It will be a sabbath of rest for you. And, you must not eat. You will start your sabbath of rest in the evening, on the ninth day of the month. It will continue from that evening until the next evening.”
- I Chronicles 15:16 – David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their brothers as singers. The singers were to play their musical instruments—lyres, harps, and cymbals. And, they were to sing happy songs.
- I Chronicles 23:5 – And, 4,000 Levites will be gatekeepers. And, 4,000 Levites will praise Yahweh with musical instruments which I made for them to use for praising God.”c
- I Chronicles 25:7 – These men and their relatives from the Levites were trained in music. They were all talented musicians for Yahweh. There were 288 of them.g
- I Chronicles 16:27-28 – Yahweh has glory and majesty. He has power and joy in His dwelling-place. 28Give praise to Yahweh, O you families of the peoples. Give glory and power to Yahweh.
- Exodus 28:5, 9-12, 15-21 – Have them use gold thread, and blue, purple, and red yarn, as well as fine-spun cotton…9“Take two onyx stones and engrave upon them the names of the twelve sons of Israel 10in the order of their birth—six of their names on one stone and the remaining six names on the other stone. 11Engrave the names of the sons of Israel on the two stones in the same way that a jewel-cutter engraves a seal. Then mount the stones in delicate, gold settings 12and put two stones on the ephod’s shoulder straps as stones to remind the sons of Israel. Aaron will carry their names into My presence on his two shoulders as a memorial…15“You must also make a chest-plate for understanding My will. It will be the result of a skilled craftsman. Make it like the ephod—from gold, from blue, purple, and red yarn, as well as from fine-spun cotton. 16It must be square—9 inchese long and 9 inches wide—and folded double.f 17Then, you must mount stone settings in it—four rows of jewels: the first row will be a ruby, a topaz, and a beryl. 18The second row will be a turquoise, a sapphire, and an emerald. 19The third row will be a jacinth, an agate, and an amethyst. 20The fourth row will be a chrysolite, an onyx, and a jasper. Mount them in delicate, gold settings. 21There are to be twelve jewels, one for each of the names of the sons of Israel.g Each jewel will be engraved like a seal-ring with the name of one of the twelve tribes.
- Leviticus 1:3 – “ ‘If anyone offers a whole burnt-offeringe from the livestock, it must be a male. It must have no physical defects.f The person must voluntarily bring the animal to the entrance of the Tent of Meeting into the presence of Yahweh.
- Exodus 28:30 – Put the Urim and the Thummimi in the chest-plate for understanding My will. They will also be over Aaron’s heart when he goes into My presence. In this way, Aaron will always be carrying over his heart the way for understanding My will for the sons of Israel when he is in My presence.”
- Leviticus 16:17 – Aaron is canceling sins in the Most Holy Place. During that time, no one else is allowed inside the Tent of Meeting. No one will go in until Aaron comes out. So, Aaron will perform the rituals to cancel the sins on behalf of himself and his family, as well as the sins of the whole congregation of Israel.
- Leviticus 16:12-13 – Then he must get a pann full of burning coals from off the altaro into My presence. Aaron must take two handfuls of sweet incense that has been ground into powder. He must bring it into the room behind the curtain. 13He must put the incense on the fire in My presence. Then the cloud of incense will obscure the sacred lid on top of the Holy Chest.p Then, when Aaron comes in, he will not die!
- Exodus 31:18 – After God finished talking with Moses upon Mount Sinai,g He gave Moses the two plaques of the Covenant—plaques of stone which were written by the finger of God!
- Exodus 40:20 -Then he took the Covenant and put it inside the Holy Chest. He put the poles on the Holy Chest and placed the Forgiveness Cover on top of it.
- Exodus 25:20-23 – They will spread out their wings above, covering the Forgiveness Cover with their wings. They are to face each other. The faces of these angel-like figures must look downward toward the Forgiveness Cover. 21Put the Forgiveness Cover on top of the Holy Chest. And put the Covenant which I will soon be giving to you inside the Holy Chest. 22I will meet you there. I will talk with you from above the Forgiveness Cover (from between the two angel-like figures which are on top of the Holy Chest of the Covenant). I will talk with you about everything that I will give you as commands for the sons of Israel.” 23“You must also make the Special Table from acacia wood: It will be 3 feetm long, 1½ feetn wide, and 2¼ feeto high.
- Leviticus 6:21-22 -The flour must be combined with olive oil to be cooked on a flat pan. Mix it well. Shape it into pieces and bake it. Bring it as a food-offering; it will be a smell that will be pleasing to Me. 22One of the priests will be anointed to take Aaron’s place as high priest. He must make the food-offering to Me. It is one of My permanent rules. The food-offering must be completely burned.
- Leviticus 23:33-36, 40-43 – And Yahweh said to Moses, 34“Tell the people of Israel: ‘On the 15th day of the seventh month is the Feast of Huts.q This feast to the Always-Present One will continue for seven days. 35There will be a holy meeting on the first day. Do not do work of any kind. 36Each day, for seven days, you will bring an offering made by fire to the Always-Present One. On the eighth day, you will have another holy meeting. And, you will bring an offering made by fire to the Always-Present One. This will be a special gathering. Do no work of any kind!…40On the first day, you will take good fruit from the fruit trees. And, you will take branches from palm trees, and willows beside the brooks, and other leafy trees.s And, you will celebrate in the presence of your God, Yahweh, for seven days. 41Every year, you must celebrate this festival to the Always-Present One for seven days. This law will continue from now on. You will celebrate it in the seventh month. 42Live in huts for seven days. All the people born in Israel must live in huts. 43This is so that all of your descendants will know that I caused the people of Israel to live in huts. It was during the time when I brought them out of the land of Egypt. I am Yahweh, your God.’ ”
- Numbers 20:7-8- Yahweh spoke to Moses: 8“You and your brother Aaron must get Aaron’s walking-stick,c and you must gather the community. Speak to that rock over there in plain view of the people. It will surrender its water! You are to bring water out of that rock for them. Give that water to the people and their animals.”
- Deuteronomy 31:10-12 – Then Moses commanded them: “Read these teachings aloud for all Israel to hear. Do it at the end of every seven years. (That is the year of releasing people from their debts.) Do it during the Feast of Huts.g All the Israelites will come to appear before the Always-Present One, your God. They will stand at the place which the Always-Present One will choose. 12Gather all the people—the men, the women, the children, and the foreigners living within your towns. Then they can listen and learn to revere Yahweh, your God.h Then they can carefully obey all the words of these teachings.
- Deuteronomy 5:7-12 – “ ‘You must have no other gods but Me.c 8“ ‘You must not make for yourself any carved image or the likeness of anything that is in the sky above, on the earth beneath, or in the water that is under the earth.d 9You must not bow yourself down to them or serve them.e Why? Because, I, Yahweh your God, I am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of their ancestors to the third and to the fourth generations of those who reject Me. 10However, I am loyal to the thousands who love Me and obey My commands.f 11“ ‘You must not use the Name of Yahweh, your God, irreverently.g Yahweh will hold such a person responsible who uses His Name that way.h 12“ ‘Guard the sabbath day, to keep it holy.i Yahweh, your God, has commanded you to do this.
- Jeremiah 35:4 – Then I brought them into the temple area of Yahweh.g We went into the side room of the followers of Hanan, the son of Igdaliah. Hanan was a man of the one true God. This room was next to the one where the officers stayed. It was over the room of Maaseiah, the son of Shallum. Maaseiah was a doorkeeper of the temple.h
- Deuteronomy 18:18 – So, I will raise up a Prophet for them like you. He will come from among their own brothers. I will put My words in his mouth. And, he will tell them everything I order him to do.
- Deuteronomy 2:22, 24 – The Always-Present One did the same thing for the descendants of Esau (who lived in Seir) when He destroyed the Horites. The Edomites forced them out and settled in their place. And, the Edomites live there to this day.k…24“God said, ‘Get up! Move! Cross the Arnon Ravine. Look, I am giving you the power to defeat Sihon the Amorite (the king of Heshbon) and his land. So, wage war against him; start capturing his land!
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
Season 5, Promise Keeper, “God Essence”