BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Matthew 14:10, 13 – He sent some men to the prison to cut off John’s head…13When Jesus heard this, he left there in a small boat to be all alone. He went to a place where no one lived. However, the crowds found out where Jesus had gone and, on foot, they followed him from the towns.
- Matthew 15:21 – Jesus left there and went to the area of the cities of Tyre and Sidon.
- The city of Tyre existed as early as the 14th century B.C. and continues to exist today in Lebanon. It has always been an important international trade center.
- Matthew 15:1-3 – Then some teachers of the law and some Pharisees from Jerusalem came to Jesus. They asked, 2“Why are your followers breaking the old rules of the elders!? When your followers eat, they do not wash their hands!” 3Jesus answered them, “Why do you break God’s command for the sake of your old rules!?
- John 7:1 – After this, Jesus was traveling around in the land of Galilee. He didn’t want to go to the land of Judea, because the Jewish leaders were trying to kill him.
- Mark 7:1-5 – Some teachers of the law and some Pharisees came from Jerusalem to get together with Jesus. 2They saw that some of Jesus’ followers were eating loaves of bread with unholy (that is, unwashed) hands. 3(The Pharisees and all the Jewish people won’t eat unless they wash their hands with a ceremony. They carefully obey the old rules of the elders. 4They won’t eat anything from the marketplace, unless they wash it. They have received many other rules which they must obey regarding washing cups, pots, and copper bowls.) 5The Pharisees and the teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why are your followers breaking the old rules of the elders? They are eating bread with unholy hands!”
- Matthew 15:4-6 – God said, ‘You must honor your father and your mother.’ (Exodus 20:12) and ‘The person who curses his father or mother must die.’ (Exodus 21:17)
5But you say if anyone says to his father or mother, ‘Whatever money you might have gotten from me to help you I have given to God instead!’ 6How can people ever honor their parents unless they take care of them!? They can’t! So, because of your tradition, you are taking away the authority of God’s teaching!
- Matthew 23:35-30 – You claim: ‘If we had lived in the time of our ancestors, we would not have helped them kill the prophets.’ 31So, you are admitting you are the sons of the men who murdered the prophets! 32You are finishing what your ancestors started. 33“You snakes! You are from a family of poisonous snakes! How will you escape the judgment of hell!? 34Look! I am sending you prophets, wise men, and teachers of the law. You will kill some of them and you will nail others to crosses. You will whip some of them in your synagogues. You will chase them from town to town. 35You will have to answer for the death of every good person who has been killed on earth. You will have to answer for all the spilled blood from the murder of innocent Abel to the murder of Zechariah, the son of Barachiah.h You murdered Zechariah between the temple sanctuary and the altar.
- Mark 7:6-7 – Jesus said to them, “How right Isaiah was when he prophesied about you hypocrites!a As it is written: ‘These people honor Me with their lips,but their heart is far away from Me. 7It does no good for them to worship Me. They teach rules made by men, not God!’ (Isaiah 29:13)
- Matthew 15:12 – Then Jesus’ followers came to him and asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were insulted when they heard this teaching!?”
- Matthew 15:21 – Jesus left there and went to the area of the cities of Tyre and Sidon
- Matthew 14:17-21 – But they said to him, “We have only five loaves of bread and two fish.” 18Jesus said, “Bring them here to me.” 19Jesus ordered the people to sit down on the grass. He took the five loaves of bread and the two fish. Then he looked up to heaven. He thanked God for the food and divided it. Then he began giving the loaves of bread to his followers, and they distributed it to the crowds. 20Everyone ate and was full. They gathered up all the pieces of the food which were left over. They filled twelve large baskets with this food. 21(There were about 5,000 men who were eating, not including the women and children.)
- Acts 14:17 – But God did things to prove that He is real: He does good things for you. He gives you rain from the sky and good harvests at the right times. He gives you plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy.”
- Acts 17:28, 31 – ‘In Him, we live, we walk, we are.’ Some of your own poets have said: ‘For we are God’s children.’e…31God has set a day when He will judge the whole world. He will be fair, using a man to do this. He chose this man a long time ago. God proved it to everyone by raising that man from death!”
- Mark 2:8 – Instantly, Jesus knew in his spirit that they were thinking like this to themselves. Jesus said to them, “Why are you thinking these things in your hearts?
- Romans 1:28-32 – Also, since they didn’t want to allow God to stay within their circle of knowledge, God handed them over to worthless thinking, to do things they should never do. 29They are filled with all kinds of wrong, with evil, greed, and depravity. They are full of jealousy, murder, fighting, deceit, malice, gossiping, 30slander, hatred for God, insults, pride, arrogance, and new ways to do evil. They don’t even obey their parents. 31They always break promises. They are stupid and heartless. They show no pity for others. 32They know that what God said is right—that people who practice such things deserve death—but they do them anyway. And, they even encourage others who are practicing the same things.
- Hebrews 11:1,3 – Faith is the title-deeda to the things we hope for. Faith is being sure of things we cannot see…3By faith, we understand that the universe was put together by God’s Word. What we see was made from what we cannot see.
- Mark 7:24-26 – Jesus got up from there and went away to the area near the city of Tyre. He went into a house. (Jesus didn’t want anyone to know where he was, but it was not possible for him to hide.) 25Soon a woman heard about Jesus. Her daughter had an evil spirit. The woman came and bowed down at Jesus’ feet. 26She was not a Jew. She was born in the land of Phoenicia, an area of Syria. She kept begging Jesus to throw the demon out of her daughter.
- John 14:6 – Jesus said to him, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life! The only way anyone can come to the Father is through me!
- Mark 7:27 – Jesus said to her, “Let the children eat first. It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the puppies.”
- Mark 7:28-30 – But the woman answered Jesus, “Yes, Lord, but even the puppies under the table eat the crumbs from the children!” 29Jesus said to her, “Go! The demon has come out of your daughter—because of your answer!” 30The woman went back to her home and found her child lying on a bed. And, the demon was gone.
RABBI SOLOMON GANZFRIED:
- CODE OF JEWISH LAW, Vol. I, pg. 119-121 – Glass and metal utensils…are immersed in a pool that would be approved…Before the immersion, the following benediction is pronounced: “Blessed art Thou, O Lord our God….”….Before immersing the vessel, it must be thoroughly cleansed….The whole vessel must be submerged at one time….A vessel with a handle…held in the hand during the immersion, the hand should first be dipped into the water….It is forbidden to immerse vessels either on the Sabbath or on a festival.
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
Season 8, Star Song, “Lost in Wonder “