BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Matthew 1:1-2, 6, 16 – This is the record of the family names of Jesus Christ,a a descendant of David, a descendant of Abraham: 2Abraham fathered Isaac; Isaac fathered Jacob; Jacob fathered Judah and his brothers…6Jesse fathered David, the king; David fathered Solomon…16Jacob fathered Joseph, Mary’s husband. Mary gave birth to Jesus, the one called the Messiah.
- John 1:1-3, 14a – In the beginning was the Word,a and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.b 2He was with God in the beginning. 3Through him, everything was made. Without him, nothing which has happened would have happened.
- Matthew 1:18 – 18This is how the birth of Jesus Christ occurred: Mary, the mother of Jesus, was engaged to be married to Joseph, but before they were married, it was discovered that she was pregnant (by the Holy Spirit)!
- John 6:42 – They said, “This is Jesus, Joseph’s son. We know his father and mother. Why is he now saying, ‘I have come down from heaven?’ ”
- Matthew 1:19-23 – However, Joseph, her husband-to-be, was a fair man; he did not want to disgrace her. So, he decided to quietly call off the marriage. 20He was thinking deeply upon these things when, suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, descendant of David, don’t be afraid to take Mary to be your wife. The baby inside her comes from the Holy Spirit! 21She will give birth to a son. You will name him Jesus,b because he will save his people from their sins. 22The Lord spoke about this through the prophet Isaiah. All these things occurred to make this come true: 23‘Listen! The virgin will be pregnant and give birth to a son. They will name him Emmanuel (Isaiah 7:14) (which means, God is with us).’ ” (Isaiah 8:8,10)
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Deuteronomy 22:13-14, 20-21 – [Old Testament Law] Moses continued, “Suppose a man marries a girl and has sex with her. But later he decides that he does not love her anymore. 14So, he tells lies about her and gives her a bad name. He might say: ‘I married this woman, but when I had sex with her, I did not find that she was a virgin!’… 20“However, suppose the things that the husband said about his wife are true. And, the signs of virginity were not found in the girl. 21If so, the girl must be brought out to the door of her father’s house. Then the men of the town must put her to death by throwing stones at her! She has done a disgraceful thing in Israel. She had sex before she was married! You must get rid of that evil among you.k
[Jewish Law 1500 BC to 30 AD]
- Deuteronomy 24:1 –
- Moses continued, “Suppose a man marries a woman. However, he decides that she does not please him. He has found something indecent in her. So, he writes out divorce papersa for her. Then he puts them in her hand and sends her out of his house.b
- Isaiah 7:14 [PREDICTED 700 YEARS BEFORE JESUS] – 14Nevertheless, the Lord Himself will give youy a sign: Look, the virginz will become pregnant. She will give birth to a son, and she will name him ‘Immanuel [God With Us].’aa
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
Season 8, Star Song, all episodes