BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Matthew 18:9-10 – If your eye causes you to sin, then take it out and throw it away from you! It would be better for you to enter eternal life with one eye than to be thrown into hell fire with two eyes.” 10“Don’t treat one of these little ones as if they were not important. I tell you, their angels in heaven are always looking at my heavenly Father’s face. 11 a
- Luke 8:41 – Look, a man named Jairus came, too. He was a ruler of the synagogue.c He bowed down at Jesus’ feet. He kept on begging Jesus, “Come to my house!”
- Mark 5:26 – She had suffered much. Many doctors had tried to help her. She had spent all the money she had, but she was not getting any better—only worse.
- Matthew 9:10, 18 – While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, look, many tax collectors and sinful people came and joined Jesus and his followers for dinner…18While Jesus was talking to them, suddenly a ruler of the synagogue came near and began to bow down in front of Jesus. The man said, “My daughter has just died! Nevertheless, if you come and put your hand on her, then she will come back to life.”
- Mark 5:22-23 – A man named Jairus came, too. He was one of the rulers of the synagogue. When Jairus saw Jesus, he fell down at Jesus’ feet, 23asking for many things. He said, “My little girl is dying. Please come and put your hand on her, so that she will be all right and live!”
- Luke 8:42 – Jairus had only one daughter. She was twelve years old, and she was dying. While Jesus was going to Jairus’ house, the crowds were pressing in upon him.
- Mark 5:24-29 – Jesus left with Jairus. A large crowd was following Jesus. They were bumping up against him. 25There was a woman who had a sore which had been bleeding for twelve years. 26She had suffered much. Many doctors had tried to help her. She had spent all the money she had, but she was not getting any better—only worse. 27She had heard things about Jesus. So, she went behind Jesus in the crowd and touched his robe. 28She was thinking this: “If I could just touch his clothes, I would be made well!” 29Instantly, the source of her bleeding was dried up. In her body she felt that she had been healed of the disease.
- Luke 8:44 – She went behind Jesus and touched the tassel of his robe.d At that moment, her bleeding stopped.
- Mark 5:30-32 – Instantly, Jesus knew within himself that power had left him. He turned to the crowd and said, “Who touched my clothes?” 31Jesus’ followers said to him, “You see the crowd. The people are pressing up against you. Yet you say, ‘Who touched me?’ ” 32But Jesus continued to look around to see who had done this. 33The woman was afraid; she was trembling. She knew what had happened to her. She came and bowed down to Jesus. Then she told him the whole truth.
- Luke 8:45-50 – Then Jesus asked, “Who touched me!?” Everyone denied touching Jesus. Peter said, “Teacher, the crowds are pressing up against you, and they are jostling you.” 46But Jesus said, “Someone did touch me! I felt it when power left me!” 47When the woman saw that she was detected, she came forward trembling. She bowed down in front of Jesus. While all the people listened, she told why she touched Jesus, and how she was healed immediately. 48Jesus said to her, “Dear woman, you are made well because you believed. Go in peace.” 49While Jesus was still speaking, someone came from the house of the synagogue ruler and said, “Your daughter has just died! Don’t bother the Teacher anymore.” 50When Jesus heard this, he said to Jairus, “Don’t be afraid! Just believe and your daughter will be well again.”
- Mark 5:37-43 – Jesus did not allow anyone to go with him—only Peter, James, and John. (James and John were brothers.) 38They went into the synagogue ruler’s house. Jesus saw that there was confusion. Many people were crying loudly and showing great sadness. 39Jesus went and said to them, “Why are you making so much noise and crying? The child is not dead; she is only sleeping!” 40They laughed at Jesus. After he made them all leave, Jesus took along the child’s father and mother and those who were with Jesus. He went into the room where the child was. 41Jesus held the child’s hand and said to her, “Talitha, koum!” (This means “Little girl, I tell you, get up!”) 42Immediately, the little girl stood up and began walking around. (She was twelve years old.) They were totally shocked. 43Jesus gave them many strong warnings: “Don’t make this known to anyone!” Then Jesus told them to give her something to eat.
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Leviticus 15:25-33 – “ ‘A woman might have a lossj of blood for many days. It may not be during her regular monthly period. Or, she may continue to have a loss of blood after her regular period. If she does, she will be “unclean,” as she is during her monthly period. She will be “unclean” for as long as she continues to bleed. 26During all the time of her bleeding, any bed that she lies on will be like her bed during her regular monthly period. Everything she sits on will be “unclean.” It will be like the time of her regular, monthly period. 27“ ‘If anyone touches those things, then that person will be “unclean.”k He must wash his clothes and bathe himself in water. He will be “unclean” until the evening. 28When the woman becomes cleansed from her bleeding, she must wait for seven days. After that, she will be “clean.” 29Then, on the eighth day, she must get for herself two doves or two young pigeons. And she must bring them to the priest at the entrance of the Tent of Meeting. 30Then the priest must offer one bird for a sin-offering. He must offer the other bird for a whole burnt-offering. So, regarding her “unclean” discharge, the priest will pronounce her as “pure” in My presence. 31“ ‘So, you must warn the people of Israel to stay separated from things that make them “unclean.” If you don’t warn the people, then they might pollute My Holy Tent among them, because of their “uncleanness.” And then they would have to die!’ ” 32These were the instructions for the man who discharges a substance, or one who becomes “unclean” from semen that comes out of his body, 33or for women who become “impure” from their monthly period, or for anyone who becomes “unclean,” or a man who has sex with an “unclean” woman.’ ”
- Leviticus 25:29-30 – “ ‘Someone may sell a home in a walled city. But, for one full year after he sold it, he has the right to buy it back. 30But the owner might not buy the house back before the one full year is over. If he doesn’t, then the house in the walled city will belong to the one who bought it. It will belong to his future sons. The house will not go back to the first owner at Jubilee.w
- Numbers 5:2-3 – “Command the Israelites to send away anyone with leprosya from camp. Send away anyone who emits body fluids. And, send away anyone who has touched a corpse. 3Whether they are men or women, send them away from the camp. They must not contaminate their camps. I am living among them.”
- Leviticus 25:35-37 – “ ‘Someone from your country might become too poor to support himself. Help him to live among you as you would help a stranger or a temporary resident.y 36Do not charge him any interest or increase on the money that you loan to him. Revere your God! And, respect the life of your Jewish brother among you. 37Do not lend him money for interest. Do not try to make a profit from your food.
- Leviticus 19:9 – “ ‘As you harvest your crops on your land, don’t completely harvest all the way to the corner of your field. Don’t gather the gleaningsg after you harvest.
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
Season 2, Hearts Afire, “Angels of Hell “
Season 2, Hearts Afire, “The Traitor “