BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Mark 4:33-34 – With many stories like these Jesus was telling them the message—but only as much as they were able to understand. 34Jesus always spoke to them with a story. But, when he was alone with his followers, he would explain everything.
- Mark 4:1-2 – Again, Jesus began to teach beside Lake Galilee. A very large crowd gathered around him. So, Jesus got into a small boat on the lake and sat down. The whole crowd was on the shore, at the edge of the lake. 2Jesus was teaching them with many stories. While he was teaching, he said to them
- Mark 4:35-38 -When it was evening of that same day, Jesus said to them, “Let us go across Lake Galilee to the other side.” 36Jesus was in the boat. They took him and left the crowd. Other small boats went with him. 37Suddenly, there was a storm—a strong wind. The waves were getting into the boat; it was about to be filled with water. 38But Jesus was in the back of the boat, asleep on a pillow. They woke him up, saying to him, “Teacher, we are going to die; don’t you care?”
- John 1:3 – Through him, everything was made. Without him, nothing which has happened would have happened.
- Matthew 2:1-2 – Jesus was born in Bethlehem, a town in Judea, during the time of King Herod the Great. Look, some wise men from the east traveled to Jerusalem. 2They asked, “Where is the one who was born to be king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east, and we have come to worship him.”
- Matthew 8:24 – Soon there was such a big storm on the lake that the waves were getting into the small boat, but Jesus was asleep.
- Mark 4:37 – Suddenly, there was a storm—a strong wind. The waves were getting into the boat; it was about to be filled with water.
- Luke 8:23 – While they were sailing, Jesus was asleep. Then a big storm blew down on the lake. The boat began to fill with water. They were in danger.
- Matthew 8:25-26 – The followers went to Jesus and woke him up. They said, “Lord, save us! We are going to die!” 26Then Jesus said to them, “Why are you so afraid!? Oh, you have so little faith!” Then Jesus got up and gave an order to the wind and the waves of the lake. The lake became very calm.
- Mark 4:39-40 – Jesus woke up and gave an order to the wind and the waves of the lake, “Be still! Stop!” The wind stopped blowing; it was very calm. 40Jesus said to them, “Why were you so afraid? Do you not yet have faith?”
- Matthew 8:27 – The men were amazed. They said, “What kind of man is this!? Even the wind and the lake obey him!”
- Mark 6:41 – 41Jesus took the five loaves of bread and the two fish. He looked up to heaven, thanked God for the food, and divided the loaves of bread. Then he began giving them to his followers, so that they could distribute them to all the people. Jesus also divided the two fish for everyone.
- Luke 8:25 – He asked his followers, “Where is your faith!?” The followers were afraid and amazed. They asked each other, “What kind of man is this!? Even winds and water obey him!”
- Matthew 14:13-14 – 13When Jesus heard this, he left there in a small boat to be all alone. He went to a place where no one lived. However, the crowds found out where Jesus had gone and, on foot, they followed him from the towns. 14When Jesus got out of the boat, he saw a large crowd; he felt sorry for them. He healed their sick people.
- John 6:9-15 –“Here is a little boy who has five small loaves of barley bread and two fish, but how long would that last among so many people? Not very long!” 10Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” (There was a lot of grass in that spot.) There were about 5,000 men. They sat down. 11Then Jesus took the loaves of bread and gave thanks to God for them. He divided them among those who were sitting down. He did the same thing with the fish. They ate as much as they wanted. 12When they were full, Jesus said to his followers, “Gather up the leftovers, so that nothing will be wasted.” 13So, they gathered them up and filled twelve large baskets with the leftover pieces from the five small barley loaves. 14The people saw this miracle that Jesus performed. They began saying, “Surely this is the Prophet we were expecting to come into the world!” 15Jesus knew they were about to come and take him, so that they could make him a king. So, he left again for the mountain to be alone.
- Matthew 14:22-23 – Soon Jesus made his followers get into the boat. He wanted them to go on ahead of him across the lake, while he sent the crowds away. 23After Jesus sent the crowds away, he went up on a mountain to be alone and to pray. It was evening, and Jesus was the only one there.
- Mark 6:47-48 – That night the boat was in the middle of the lake. Jesus was alone on land. 48He saw that his followers were rowing hard, because the wind was against them. It was after three o’clock in the morning. Jesus came to them; he was walking on the lake. He wanted to pass them by,
- Matthew 14:24 – The boat was already a very long way from the shore. The waves were beating against the boat; they were heading into the wind.
- Mark 6:49-50 – …but they saw him walking on the lake. They thought that Jesus was a ghost. They cried out; 50they all saw him. They were scared, but Jesus soon talked with them. He said to them, “Be strong! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
- Matthew 14:28-33 – 2ter answered him, “Lord, if it is really you, then tell me to come to you on the water!” 29Jesus said, “Come!” Then Peter got down from the boat and went toward Jesus, walking on the water. 30But when Peter saw the way the wind was blowing, he was afraid. He began to sink. Peter cried out, “Lord, save me!” 31Immediately, Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. Jesus said to him, “Oh, you have so little faith; why did you doubt!?” 32When they climbed into the boat, the wind stopped. 33They all worshiped him, saying, “You really are the Son of God!”
- John 6:21-25 – They wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat soon came to the shore where they were heading. 22The next day, the crowd which had stood on the other side of the lake saw that only one boat was still there. They knew that Jesus did not get into that boat with his followers; they had left by themselves. 23Some more small boats from Tiberias came near the place where the people had eaten the bread for which the Lord had given thanks. 24So, when the crowd realized that Jesus and his followers were not there, they got into some small boats and went to Capernaum to look for Jesus.25When the people found Jesus on the other side of the lake, they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you come here?”
- John 6:59 – These are the things which Jesus said while teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum.
- John 6:26-42 – Jesus answered them, “I am telling you the truth: You are looking for me, not because of the miracles you saw but because you ate the food and were filled! 27Don’t work for the kind of food which spoils. Instead, work for the kind of enduring food which gives you life forever. Ia will give you this kind of food. God the Father puts His stamp of approval on me.” 28They asked Jesus, “What should we do, so that we may do God’s deeds?” 29Jesus answered them, “This is God’s work—you must commit yourselves to the one whom God sent!” 30They said to him, “What miracle will you do, so that we may see it and commit ourselves to you? What will you do? 31Our ancestors ate mannab in the desert. It is written: ‘He gave them food to eat from heaven.’ ”32Jesus said to them, “I am telling you the truth: Moses did not give you food from heaven. My Father is the One who gives you the true food from heaven. 33God’s food comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” 34Then they said to Jesus, “Sir, always give us this food!” 35Jesus said to them, “I am the food which gives life. The person who comes to me will never be hungry. The one who commits himself to me will never be thirsty. 36I told you, ‘Though you have seen me, yet you still do not believe.’ 37All that the Father gives to me comes to me. I will never throw out the person who comes to me. 38Why did I come down from heaven? It was not to do what I want to do, but to do the will of the One who sent me. 39This is the will of the One who sent me: I must not lose anything that God has given to me. I must restore it to God on the last day. 40This is what my Father wants: Every person who sees the Son and commits himself to him will have eternal life. I will restore that person on the last day.”41The Jewish leaders were complaining about Jesus, because he said, “I am the food which came down from heaven.” 42They said, “This is Jesus, Joseph’s son. We know his father and mother. Why is he now saying, ‘I have come down from heaven?’ ”
- John 6:53 – Jesus said to them, “I am telling you the truth: If you don’t eat myc flesh and you don’t drink my blood, you do not have life in you!
- John 6:60-69 – 60Many of Jesus’ followers heard these things and said, “This is a hard teaching. Who can obey it?” 61Jesus knew within himself that his followers were complaining about this. He asked them, “Does this offend you? 62Suppose you were to see me going up to where I was before? 63The Spirit is life-giving; physical things are not worth very much. The words I have spoken to you are Spirit and life, 64but some of you don’t believe.” (From the very beginning, Jesus knew who didn’t believe and which one would turn against him.) 65Jesus said, “This is why I told you that no one could come to me if he were not allowed to come by my Father.”66From this point on, many of Jesus’ followers turned back. They were not walking with him anymore. 67Jesus said to the twelve apostles, “You don’t want to go away, too, do you?” 68Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, who else is there to go to? You have the words of eternal life! 69We have believed and know that you are God’s Holy One!”
- Hebrews 1:8 – But God said this about His Son: “Your throne, O God, lasts forever and ever. You rule your kingdom fairly.
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Exodus 6:20 –Amram married Jochebed, his father’s sister. She gave birth to Aaron and Moses for Amram. Amram lived for 137 years.
- Psalm 116:1 – I love Yahweh because He listens to my prayers for help.
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
- ANTIQUITIES OF THE JEWS, BK. 18, 2:1 – Philip…also advanced the village Bethsaida, situate at the lake of Gennesareth [Galilee] unto the dignity of a city, both by the number of inhabitants it contained, and its other grandeur, and called it by the name of Julias, the same name as Caesar’s daughter.
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
Season 2, Hearts Afire, “Angels of Hell “
Season 5, Flood Gates, “Citizens of the Kingdom of Earth “
Season 2, Hearts Afire, “Unlikely Crew “
Season 3, Folk Hero, “Hesitant Herald “
Season 3, Folk Hero, “Bread of Kingdom Life “