BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- James 4:7 – So, put yourselves under God’s authority. Resist the Devil, and he will run away from you.
- I Peter 5:8-9 – Be alert! Watch! The Devil is your enemy. He is like a lion. He walks around, roaring and looking for someone to eat. 9Those of you who are strong in faith must resist him. You know that the brotherhood in other parts of the world is experiencing the same suffering as you are.
- Mark 3:20 – Jesus came home. Again, such a crowd came together that they didn’t even have time to eat.
- John 1:1,14 – In the beginning was the Word,a and the Word was with God, and the Word was deity.b …14The Word became human and lived among us for a while. We saw his glory, the kind of glory like that of the Father’s one and onlyc Son—full of gracious love and truth.
- Matthew 12:22-23 – Then they brought a demon-possessed man to Jesus. This man was blind, and he could not talk. Jesus healed him. The man was now able to speak and see. 23All the crowds were amazed. They kept saying, “This man is not the son of David, is he!?”
- Mark 3:21-22 – When Jesus’ family heard this, they went out to get Jesus. They were saying, “He’s crazy!” 22The teachers of the law who came down from Jerusalem were saying, “Jesus has Beelzebul.d Jesus uses the prince of demons to throw out demons!”
- Matthew 12:25 – Jesus knew what they were thinking. He said to them, “Every kingdom which is divided against itself will be ruined. Every town or family which is divided against itself will not hold together.
- Matthew 12:34-37- You are like little poisonous snakes. You are evil. How can you say good things!? A person speaks what flows out of his heart. 35A good man brings good things out of the good treasure of his heart, but an evil man brings out evil things from an evil treasure. 36I tell you, sometimes people talk without thinking. On the Judgment Day, they will be held responsible for every word. 37Your words can make you right with God, or your words can condemn you!”
- Hebrews 4:14 – So, we have a great High Priest who has gone through the heavens. He is Jesus, the Son of God. We must hold on to what we said we believed
- John 18:37 – Pilate said to him, “So then, you are a king!”Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. The reason I was born, the reason why I have come into the world is to give evidence for the truth. Every person who listens to my voice comes from the truth.”
- Matthew 9:32 – While they were leaving, look, they brought a man to Jesus. The man could not talk. He had a demon.
- Hebrews 2:10 – God made everything for Himself. When He brought many sons to glory, it was only right for Him to use suffering to make the Leaderb of their salvation perfect.
- Matthew 9:33 – After the demon had been thrown out, the man who had not been able to talk began to talk. The crowds were amazed. They said, “No one has ever seen anything like this happen in Israel!”
- Matthew 9:34 – However, the Pharisees continued to say, “Jesus makes demons go away by using the power of the ruler of the demons!”
- Mark 8:27 – Then Jesus and his followers went away to the villages of Caesarea Philippi. Along the road, Jesus asked his followers this question: “Who do people say I am?”
- Mark 9:17, 25 – One man in the crowd answered Jesus, “Teacher, I brought my son to you. He has a demonic spirit that stops him from talking…25When Jesus saw that a crowd was running together, he gave an order to the evil spirit, “O spirit that keeps this boy from talking and hearing, I command you—come out of him! Never go into him again!”
- Mark 9:22 – This spirit wants to kill him. It often throws him into fire or into water. Take pity on us! Help us, if you are able to!”
- James 4:7-8 – So, put yourselves under God’s authority. Resist the Devil, and he will run away from you. 8Get close to God, and God will get close to you. Wash your hands of sin, you sinners. Make your hearts pure, you who have divided hearts.
- Matthew 10:1,11 – Jesus called his twelve followers. He gave them the authority to throw out evil spirits and to heal every kind of disease and sickness… When you enter a town or a village, find someone there who is worthy. When you go into his house, give your greeting to it.
- II Corinthians 12:12 – The signs of a true apostle have been done among you very patiently—proofs from God, miracles, and powers.
- Mark 9:14-27 – When they got back to the other followers, they saw a large crowd around them. The teachers of the law were arguing with them. 15As soon as the whole crowd saw Jesus, they were very surprised. They ran to him and greeted him. 16Jesus asked them, “Why are you arguing with them?” 17One man in the crowd answered Jesus, “Teacher, I brought my son to you. He has a demonic spirit that stops him from talking. 18It attacks him and throws him down on the ground. He foams at the mouth and grinds his teeth. His body becomes hard. I told your followers, so that they could throw out the spirit, but they were not strong enough.”19Jesus said to them, “You people are a generation with no faith. How long must I be with you and put up with you? Bring your son here!” 20They brought the boy to Jesus. When the evil spirit saw Jesus, the boy immediately lost control of himself. He fell down on the ground and began rolling around, foaming at the mouth. 21Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?” The father said, “Since he was a child. 22This spirit wants to kill him. It often throws him into fire or into water. Take pity on us! Help us, if you are able to!” 23Jesus said to him, “ ‘If you are able’? All things are possible for the person who believes.” 24Immediately the boy’s father cried out, “I believe! Help me when I don’t believe enough!” He said this again and again25When Jesus saw that a crowd was running together, he gave an order to the evil spirit, “O spirit that keeps this boy from talking and hearing, I command you—come out of him! Never go into him again!” 26The spirit screamed and again made the boy fall down and roll around on the ground. Then the spirit left. The boy looked as if he was dead. Many people even said, “He’s dead!” 27But Jesus took hold of his hand and raised him up. The boy was on his feet.
- Luke 13:10-17 – Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath day. 11Look, in that synagogue, there was a woman who had a spirit that made her sick for 18 years. Her back was always bent; she couldn’t stand up straight. 12When Jesus saw her, he called to her, “Woman, you are set free from your sickness!” 13Jesus put his hands on her. Immediately, she was able to stand upright. She began to praise God. 14The synagogue leader was angry, because Jesus had healed on the sabbath day. This leader began to say to the crowd, “There are six days when people ought to work. So, come to be healed on one of those days. Do not come for healing on the sabbath day!” 15The Lord Jesus answered, “You hypocrites!a Every one of you unties your ox or your donkey from the stall and leads them to drink water every day—even on the sabbath day! 16This woman whom I healed is our Jewish sister,b but, look, Satan has bound her for 18 years. Why can’t she be untied from her sickness on the sabbath day!?” 17When Jesus said this, all the people who were opposing him felt ashamed of themselves. The whole crowd was happy. They were thanking God for the wonderful things that Jesus was doing.
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- Job 2:6-7 – Yahweh said to Satan, “Look, Job is in your power, but you must let him live.” 7So, Satan left the presence of Yahweh. And he struck Job’s body with painful sores,d which went from the top of his head to the soles of his feet.
- Job 13:15 – Look, though God may kill me,k yet I will trust in Him.l Nevertheless, I will still defend my ways to His face!
- Job 19:25-27 – I know that my Defenderd is alive.e And, I know that, in the end, he will come to stand up for me.f 26Even after my skin rots in the ground,g I will still see Godh away from my flesh.i 27I will see Him for myself.j Yes, my own eyes will behold Him, a Friend. Oh how my heart within me yearns for that to happen!
- Job 42:12 – And, Yahweh blessed the last part of Job’s life even more than the first part. Job owned 14,000 sheep and goats, and 6,000 camels. He had 1,000 pairs of oxen and 1,000 female donkeys.
- II Samuel 7:12, 16 – “ ‘ “Your days will come to an end, and you will die. But, at that time, I will make one of your sons to be the next king…16But your familyn and your kingdom will continue forever before Me. Your rule will last forever!” ’ ”o
- Leviticus 7:9 – Every food-offering belongs to the priest who offers it. This includes those baked in an oven, cooked on a flat pan used for baking, or anything baked in a dish.
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OHER EPISODES
- Season 3, Folk Hero, “A New Age Dawning “
- Season 4, Flood Gates, “Eye of the Storm “
- Season 2, Hearts Afire, “Angels of Hell “
- Season 5, Flood Gates, “Citizens of the Kingdom of Earth “
- Season 2, Hearts Afire, “Unlikely Crew “
- Season 3, Folk Hero, “Hesitant Herald “
- Season 3, Folk Hero, “Bread of Kingdom Life “