BACKGROUND FOR THIS EPISODE
(In Order of Appearance)
NEW TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
- John 1:42 – Then Andrew led Peter to Jesus. When Jesus looked at Peter, Jesus said, “You are Simon, John’s son. You will be called Cephas.” (Translated into Greek, this name means ‘Peter.’h)
- Matthew 14:29 – Jesus said, “Come!” Then Peter got down from the boat and went toward Jesus, walking on the water.
- John 18:10 -Simon Peter had a sword. He pulled it out and struck the high priest’s servant, cutting off his right ear. (The servant’s name was Malchus.)
- Matthew 10:2 – These are the names of the twelve apostles: First there was Simon (called Peter); Andrew (Peter’s brother); James (the son of Zebedee); John (James’ brother);
- John 1:44 – Philip was from Bethsaida, the same town where Andrew and Peter lived.
- Luke 5:10 – James and John, the sons of Zebedee, were amazed, too. (James and John were partners with Simon.) Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid. From now on, you will catch people, instead of fish!”
- Mark 1:20-21, 29 – Suddenly, Jesus invited them, too. They left their father, Zebedee, in the boat with the hired workers. And they followed Jesus.They went into the town of Capernaum. On the sabbath day, when Jesus went into the synagogue, he began to teach the people right away… 29After Jesus left the synagogue, he went immediately into Simon and Andrew’s house, along with James and John.
- John 1:40-43 – Andrew (Simon Peter’s brother) was one of the two men who heard John and followed Jesus. 41The first thing that Andrew did was to find his own brother, Simon. Andrew said to him, “We have found the Messiah!” (This word means ‘Christ.’g) 42Then Andrew led Peter to Jesus. When Jesus looked at Peter, Jesus said, “You are Simon, John’s son. You will be called Cephas.” (Translated into Greek, this name means ‘Peter.’h) 43The next day, Jesus decided to leave for the land of Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me!”
- John 2:1-11 – On the third day, in the town of Cana in Galilee, there was a wedding. Jesus’ mother was there. 2Jesus and his followers were invited to the wedding. 3When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine!” 4Jesus asked her, “What do you want with me, woman? My time has not yet come.” 5His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” 6There were six stone waterjars sitting there. (Jewish people used them to make things ceremonially pure.) Each waterjar could hold about 20 to 30 gallons. 7Jesus said to them, “Fill the jars with water.” They filled the jars to the top. 8Jesus said to the servants, “Now, pour some of this and take it to the master of ceremonies.” They did it. 9He didn’t know where it came from, but the servants who had gotten the water knew. When the master of ceremonies tasted the water which had been changed into wine, he called for the groom. 10He said to the groom, “Everyone serves the good wine first, and when the people have had plenty to drink, he serves the cheaper wine. But you have reserved the good wine until now!” 11This was the first miracle which Jesus performed. It was in the town of Cana in Galilee. Jesus revealed his glory, and his followers believed in him.
- Mark 1:30-31 – Simon’s mother-in-law was very sick in bed. She had a high fever. Soon they talked to Jesus concerning her. 31He went to her, took her hand, and raised her up. The fever left her and she began to serve them.
- Luke 4:39-40 – Jesus stood very close to her and commanded the fever to leave her. It left her immediately. She got up and began to serve them. The people brought all their sick friends to Jesus. They had many different kinds of sicknesses. He put his hands on every one of them and healed them.
OLD TESTAMENT OF THE BIBLE:
Psalm 41:1-4a – To the director of music. A psalm of David. Happy is the person who builds up the poor people. When trouble comes, Yahweh will deliver him. 2Yahweh will protect him and spare his life. God will bless him in the land. God will not let his enemies take him. 3Yahweh will give him strength when he is sick. God will make him well again.
OTHER JESUS QUOTES IN THIS EPISODE
SPECIAL CHARACTERS APPEARING IN OTHER EPISODES
- Season 3, Folk Hero, “Catch the Wind and Water”
- Season 1, Dream Maker, “Odyssey of Truth”
- Season 2, Hearts Afire, “Haze of Hopelessness”